Choosing a pram is one of the hardest purchasing decisions when you find out you are pregnant with more than one baby. There is so much to consider, and every multiple birth family has different requirements for a pram.
This blog highlights five of the inline double prams for twins currently on the market, written from the point of view of a twin parent.
Each pram has been chosen for its unique point of difference, rather than for comparison of its similarities.
5 advantages of an inline double pram for twins
- Inline double prams can easily adjust from a single to a double pram. On the (albeit possibly rare!) occasions where you only take one child out, you aren’t left pushing a double pram with only one child in it.
- Inline prams are no wider than a single pram so you can fit through standard doorways.
- Most inline prams have more versatile seating options. You can choose to have both babies facing inwards, or both facing outwards. You can also have the babies facing each other.
- The majority of inline prams take a bassinet and convert to a travel system whereby compatible car capsules will attach to the pram.
- Inline double prams are easier to lift into your boot. By taking the seats off the pram frame itself is much lighter to lift.
Twinfo has done a review on 5 of inline double prams for twins currently on the market
Prams are reviewed in alphabetical order
The Babyhood Doppio XX Double is light to push, easy to fold, and looks fancy without breaking the budget.
Winning feature of the Babyhood Doppio XX Double for multi parents
The seats can be transformed from an upright seat to a fully flat bassinet with just a couple of clicks. This makes the pram suitable from birth AND you don’t need to purchase separate bassinets for the pram – a double win!
If you are out for an extended time, and your babies get tired, you can easily change the seats into bassinets. This means you don’t need to store the bassinets when using the seats and vice versa.
See how easy it is to change the seats to bassinets in this 20 second video HERE.
Main consideration of the Babyhood Doppio XX Double for multi parents
When you have both seats in bassinet mode it can be a bit awkward to get the bottom baby out. Also, reaching the foot brake when it is in double bassinette mode can be a bit tricky.
Other benefits of Babyhood Doppio XX Double include:
- An amazing sun drape which provides full sun coverage for each baby, while still offering breathable zones for air flow. The added bonus for twin parents is that this is a great way to keep curious people from getting too close to your babies!!!
- The seats have a summer and a winter mode. The luxurious winter seat unzips to reveal a breathable mesh summer seat. Perfect for Australia’s changing climate!
- As well as a large underneath basket, the Babyhood Doppio XX Double has a concealed storage pod in the front of the pram with a magnetic lid.
Dimensions of the Babyhood Doppio XX Double
Pram basket capacity: Rear Storage – 4kg. Front Storage – 2kg
Child Maximum Weight per seat: 30kg per seat
Folded Dimensions: L: 84cm W: 61.5cm H: 38cm (frame only)
Chassis Weight: 9.5kg
Seat Weight: 3.5kg
Bassinet Weight: 3.5kg
The Baby Jogger City Select has a reputation as a great pram for twin parents. The Baby Jogger City Select LUX is even better! It has 25% more configurations that the standard Baby Jogger and is 30% smaller when folded.
Winning feature of the Baby Jogger City Select LUX for multi parents
The Baby Jogger City Select LUX has a hand operated brake. This brake can be used for decelerating as well as a parking brake. As a twin parent, the decelerating brake is a game changer. Considering you could be pushing 50kg in that pram, when you go down a steep incline there can be a few ‘heart in mouth’ moments. A decelerating hand brake helps you safely stay in control.
Main consideration of the Baby Jogger City Select LUX for multi parents
When you are buying multiple things for multiple babies, the costs soon add up. The Baby Jogger City Select LUX comes with the pram only. They do have a huge range of fabulous accessories for purchase though, i.e. belly bars, cup holders, child snack trays (which are awesome!) etc.
Other benefits of the Baby Jogger City Select LUX include:
- A 30% smaller fold than the current City Select. When you fold it up, it automatically locks, which makes it a lot easier to carry, transport, and store. Plus, the seats fold inwards, which helps keep the seats clean.
- All wheel suspension and “forever air” tyres will never get a puncture or need pumping up. No multi parent has time to deal with a flat tyre!
- The SPF 50+ sun canopy can be adjusted for differing head heights as your toddlers grow.
Dimensions of the Baby Jogger City Select LUX
Pram basket capacity: 7kg
Child Maximum Weight per seat: 20kg
Folded Dimensions: L: 77.5cm W: 54.5cm H: 25.5cm (with one seat)
Chassis Weight: 10.9kg
Seat Weight: 3kg
Bassinet Weight: 1.8kg
iCandy prams have a great combination of style and functionality, and the iCandy Orange is no exception. The iCandy Orange has a soft leatherette handle and a rotating bumper, which makes it much easier to get a wriggling child (or two!) in and out.
Winning feature of the iCandy Orange Double for multi parents
iCandy have created rise adapters which gives the pram a ‘cinema seating design. This allows you to maintain eye contact with both of your children when they are facing towards you. Once they are older and want to see what’s happening in front of them, it allows the child in the back to easily see over the seat in front of them. This gives both children an equal view, and we all know that equality is important when you have twins!
Main consideration of the iCandy Orange Double for multi parents
Like all inline prams, the iCandy Orange Double is long. When you have both seats facing outwards you do need to pay attention to where you are going, as the front seat protrudes a fair way in front of the wheels.
Other benefits of the iCandy Orange Double include:
- Regardless of if you are using car capsules, bassinets or the seats, you can always have both babies facing you, which is perfect when you have two newborns.
- Both seats are the same size, so both children have the same amount of room.
- The basket is enormous! It will take up to 10kg weight, so there is no need to hunt for an elusive twin trolley at the supermarket.
Dimensions of the iCandy Orange Double
Pram basket capacity: Up to 10kg
Child Maximum Weight per seat: 15kg
Folded Dimensions: L: 85cm W: 61cm H: 30cm (frame only)
Chassis Weight: 9.4kg
Seat Weight: 2.9kg
Bassinet Weight: 4.0kg
The Joolz Geo2 is for those who like to get out and about with their twins when possible. Combining ergonomic comfort, ease and design, the Joolz Geo2 is the ultimate companion for every family adventure.
Winning feature of the Joolz Geo2 for multi parents
This is an all terrain pram. Having twins means relying on a pram a bit more that you would with just a single child. The Joolz Geo2 can go on any surface and has fabulous 4 wheel suspension.
Main consideration of the Joolz Geo2 for multi parents
When this pram has the second seat attached, the pram basket must be removed.
Other benefits of the Joolz Geo2 include:
- The top seat position is at table height. If you are at a café, you no longer need to find TWO highchairs, plus store a double pram somewhere. Instead, roll one child straight up to the table. This is a definite bonus for parents of twins.
- The Joolz Geo2 folds up in one smooth motion. Even with two seats it is a compact one-piece fold.
- Comes with the bassinets, so you don’t need to purchase them additionally, making this pram suitable from birth.
Dimensions of the Joolz Geo2
Pram basket capacity: Up to 10kg
Child Maximum Weight per seat: 22kg
Folded Dimensions: L: 97cm W: 60cm H: 55cm (with one seat)
Chassis Weight: 11.3kg
Seat Weight: 3kg
Bassinet Weight: 4kg
One of the more luxurious prams on the market. It features leatherette handlebars, jersey padded seat liners and soft anti bacterial bamboo lining for the Bassinets. When available, the Wave “twin bundle” is amazing value, as it comes with ALL the accessories i.e. 4 x mosquito nets, 4 rain covers, 2 reversible seat liners, 2 bassinet aprons, 2 seat footmuffs and a cup holder.
Winning feature of the Silver Cross Wave One plus One for multi parents
The high quality ventilated bassinets meet all Australian Safety standards, making it suitable for overnight sleeping. Twin parents can save money by using the comfortable pram bassinets as regular bassinets. You can easily wheel the babies around in the house, moving them from room to room as they sleep.
Main consideration of the Silver Cross Wave One plus One for multi parents
Due to its quality and sturdiness, the pram is slightly heavier that some. However, the seats can click in and out in seconds, and you can remove the wheels to make it easier to lift in and out of the car.
Other benefits of the Silver Cross Wave One plus One include:
- Goes into 30 configurations. Yes – 30 different configurations! No matter the mood of each baby, you are sure to find a winning combination for everyone.
- Has a smooth, easy fold mechanism and removable (puncture proof!) wheels.
- Great sun protection with a fully extending hood with pop out visor that is UPF50+.
Dimensions of the Silver Cross Wave One plus One
Pram basket capacity: Up to 5KG
Child Maximum Weight per seat: 15KG per seat
Folded Dimensions: L: 94cm W: 60cm H: 38cm (frame only)
Chassis Weight: 12kg
Seat Weight: 3.3 kg
Bassinet Weight: 4.2kg
Twinfo provides a connection to resources, information, products and service providers who specialise in supporting multiple births at every stage of their life.